Protect yourself and your family from extreme cold
Warming centers have been set up throughout Cook County and can be found on the Cook County Government website.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Learn more about the signs and symptoms of hypothermia and frostbite, who is most at risk, and when to seek medical attention.
- Never use your oven for heat.
- Never bring charcoal or gas grills indoors (they are a carbon monoxide hazard).
- Make sure all portable heaters are unplugged when not in use.
- Use electric space heaters with extreme caution – avoid placing them near curtains or other flammable materials and turn them off before going to bed.
- Keep heat at adequate levels or leave faucets open with a slight drip to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep moving. Your body generates its own heat when you engage in physical activities.
Build an emergency supply kit for your home, office and car in case something happens and you need to shelter-in-place. There is a shopping list with items you can check off as you gather them from around your home or from the store.
You can view, download and share this informational infographic from CDC: